Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Showing Off My City

Mom and I finally made it back to Hong Kong after a long day spent in Shanghai airport and a really great (surprisingly) Italian meal while we waited for our flight. The rest of my time with Fi was spent exploring Hong Kong (even a few places I haven't been to) and just catching up on missed time this semester.

As our hotel was close to Temple Street we did a little more shopping there and also had some fabulous cocktails in Aqua Bar with some fabulous company. The chocolate martinis and cosmos went down very smoothly! 'Fi also smuggled pizza in her purse into the bar for Haley (Paisianos was a delicious dinner and I'm sad I just found it before leaving)!

Pizza smuggler
 




I also managed to squeeze in my first Hong Kong laser light show on the Harbour which (as I've heard) wasn't anything too spectacular, but I definitely will miss the HK skyline. Why locals felt the need to make some lasers dance around on the already brilliant buildings is beyond me.

We also managed to climb the thousands of steps to the 10,000 Buddha monastery. I had a lot of fun imitating the hundreds of Buddha statues on the way up which made the grueling climb a little more enjoyable.





Another first was the Tung Chung cable car. The views were spectacular even on a cloudy day and Mom managed to brave her fears and make the entire trip.



After a busy few day of exploring Fi and I decided to take it easy on her last day in town. We went and saw the gigantic duck in TST, strolled through central where I showed mom Mo Man Temple and we traveled the entire length of midlevels, explored Mong Kok and walked through all of the different markets, found the botanical gardens and saw some very cute orangutans, and finally we went to The Peninsula for afternoon tea!







The tea was definitely a highlight and something to knock off of my HK bucket list. The finger sandwiches were delicious and the scones with clotted cream were relatively close to the real thing. Mom's trip was so much fun! I loved showing her my temporary home and we got to experience a lot of "firsts" together. I was sad to see her go but in two short weeks i'll be back stateside!







No comments:

Post a Comment