Monday, February 25, 2013

Home in Hong Kong

It is strange how quickly you can become acclimated to a new place. I am half way around the world and thousands of miles away from my real home but my little dorm room in Hall 10 of City University of HK truly  has become home. I was only away for a weekend, but getting back into my own bed and taking a shower in my own bathroom has never felt better! I may be a little bias as I was up for 24 hour straight, but home feels great!

Feeling the 70 degree weather after stepping of the plane and seeing the jaw-dropping skyline of HK was also a great feeling. All in all i'm in love with Hong Kong. This city is phenomenal. It takes leaving it and coming back to realize this. Although the food is better in Taiwan I wouldn't trade living in Hong Kong for anything.

Overall my trip to Taiwan was unforgettable and I learned a lot about another Asian city. Here's a list of a few things I noticed/ learned while on vacation...

1. The Taipei skyline isn't really a skyline at all
2. The streets of Taipei are extremely wide
3. Night market food is delicious
4. I miss dairy products! The cheese and strawberry smoothie was one of the highlights of my trip!
5. Traffic laws (if there are any) are not followed in Taiwan
6. Scooters are the most popular form of transport in Taiwan (there were hundreds)
7. We take HK English speakers for granted- Mandarin is hard!
8. People will do anything they can to help even though they don't speak English
9. Less crowds/people (I had personal space)
10. It's the MRT not MTR in Taiwan
11.VERY clean bathrooms in the MRT stations
12. There are bathroom "maps" which chow you what stalls are occupied through lights- very efficient
13. Every Asian country apparently has Emergency buttons in their bathroom stalls
14. The beds are still rock hard in Taiwan
15. Dogs are everywhere, more specifically three legged dogs

Dog on a scooter in a night market; sums up Taiwan in a picture

Bathroom map
My weekend get away was a great start to my travel adventures here in Asia. After being bitten by the travel "bug" Haley and I booked a spontaneous trip to the Philippines for this upcoming weekend. This addictive hobby of travel could get expensive pretty quickly! I also have flights booked to Thailand for Easter! I guess somewhere in all of these adventures I should actually study a little...

No comments:

Post a Comment