Saturday, February 2, 2013

Saturday Hikes and Afternoon Dim Sum

Started today off with an early 7am start. I was off to meet up with Rambo (a local who is a connection from friends back home). The plan for the day was as followed: 

1. "Short" 3 hour hike
2. Dim sum lunch
3. Explore Causeway Bay

I arrived in Chai Wan (the very end of the Island Line) at around 9:30 and stocked up at 7-Eleven with some hiking supplies (water and a snack). I met Rambo at 10 and I took my first "public light bus" trip to the start of our hike. The hike wasn't too bad (minus the 500+ steps) and offered some great views of the ocean. We ended our hike in Tai Long Wan (Big Wave Bay) and then walked to a bus stop which we took into town.
 
Public light bus
 From there we hopped on a tram that took us to Causeway Bay for lunch. With lots of transportation firsts and a nice hike I definitely had an appetite by the time we got to the restaurant. 



Big Wave Bay

Here's my thoughts on the dim sum lunch. First off, you know that the place is good when you are the only white person. Second, dim sum is easily my favorite local food. Third, I still don't understand how Asians eat so much and stay so skinny! 

We had so many different delicious dishes and I was very full after lunch. Some of the things I tried today included: 

1. An almond bun-a warm pastry filled with almond paste served as an appetizer
2. Sticky rice- A leaf wrapped package of sticky rice mixed with meat and some vegetables
3. Duck- small pieces of duck breast covered in a grapefruit sauce
4. Meat balls- No not Italian meat balls. Instead pork and celery and mushrooms smushed together and
                      steamed 
5. Pork dumplings- pork and some vegetables wrapped in rice paper
6. Jasmine tea- Rambo taught me how to clean off all of the utensils and cups when the tea came! 

After a filling lunch we walked around Causeway Bay and Rambo showed me some of the local markets, shops, and  the ten dollar shop (the HK version of the dollar store). 

Tired and sweaty from a long day out I headed home to shower and sleep! 

1 comment:

  1. These pictures are INCREDIBLE! Out of all the adventures you've had so far, this one sounds really awesome. A personal tour guide, beautiful views and DIM SUM! Love me some pork dumplings. Glad to hear you're exploring as much as you can.

    ReplyDelete