Friday, March 22, 2013

Green Screen

This week was laid back on the exploring front, but I'm okay with that considering I leave for Thailand and Cambodia this upcoming Thursday!

Despite the lack of adventures there were still some blog worthy events.

On Tuesday I experienced my first Hong Kong thunderstorm. I haven't seen real rain since getting here. The only version of "rain" that I've experienced prior to Tuesday are weird mist like showers. The recent change of weather however and extra humidity brought a massive thunderstorm. It was nice to finally see the rain again and there is honestly not many things better than sitting inside and watching a storm.



Tuesday was also a day of opportunities for me. After someone else backed out of a casting call for English speakers I was asked to fill in. I went to the "audition" for what was supposed to be a radio advertisement ready to have a little fun. I even had a fake name prepared as were technically not allowed to work on a student visa. It was an under the table cash in hand sort of deal.

Funny part about the whole casting call was that it definitely wasn't for a radio ad. I didn't dress up as I didn't expect to be on camera or have pictures taken. It turned out that I had to do a small video take talking about myself, and after have pictures taken of me holding a phone and menu. Needless to say I wasn't expecting the whole caught in a thunderstorm look to get me very far.

On Wednesday however I got a call back and was selected as the "talent" for an instructional English language video for an online course! I accepted (basically because the money was good) but also just because I figured it would be fun to try something new. After all, if study abroad has taught me anything it's that new and spontaneous experiences are often times the best ones.

I went to the shoot Thursday not really knowing what to expect.

The day started with getting my hair and make up done (the pampering was a bonus). Then I had my wardrobe approved and was ready to start shooting.

Luckily, I didn't have to learn lines but instead read from a teleprompter. Let me just say that I have much more respect for news anchors. The pacing of those things are very difficult to get used to. The shoot turned out to be a lot of fun and the director said he enjoyed working with me and would love to have me back to finish films for the online course. Hopefully I can get another big pay day before I leave Hong Kong!


The set


Janet and I
This weekend is the famous Rugby 7s so the night scene has been a little more crazy than usual. The number of middle aged white men in LKF has sky rocketed and it is standing room only in most of the clubs and bars.

The plus side to the whole event is that the Westerners are loaded! Last night some guys we met had bottle service the entire night and were more than willing to share their giant black label bottles. All in all a successful and close to free night!

I'm looking forward to where the night takes me tonight but more importantly I'm excited for my ten day Easter break trip! Tonight I'm booking an elephant tour through the jungle!

No comments:

Post a Comment