Sunday, March 24, 2013

L-E-T-T-U-C-E

I expected an eventful weekend as it is the Rugby 7s here in Hong Kong, but I definitely got a little more than I bargained for.

It all started Friday when Haley and I ordered Subway to the dorms. There were major translation fails and the Indian woman taking our order did not understand what "lettuce" was. After Haley attempted multiple different accents, voice tones, and speeds at which she said the word we finally found a solution of spelling
 l-e-t-t-u-c-e out. We both practically died of laughter and I'm sure this is one of those stories where you really just had to be there, but this is most definitely a classic Hattie and Haley moment.

Saturday night rolled around and we all headed to the lawn for the usual pre-drinking festivities. Because of the rugby tournament LKF and Wan Chai have been packed with people. The most entertaining part about the whole event is that everyone goes out dressed in costumes. Last night I saw men dressed as nuns, smurfs, and an Anchor Man wanna-be. My night started out great- the Taxi ride to Wan Chai was one of the most entertaining I've ever had (we played sweet and sour, the hand waving game, and we were all in hysterics the entire ride). We headed to Typhoon and just ten minutes after getting there a glass bottle was dropped on my foot and all the drama for the night started...

Mad at the person who dropped the glass...

First time in an ambulance!
The police called an ambulance and there was a lot of unnecessary freaking out, but three hours in a hospital and seven stitches later i'm okay! Haley stuck with me the entire night, Frankie and Katherine got their hands dirty and stopped all the blood while we waited for the ambulance, Jean-Francois was my distraction and kept me calm and laughing, and Jack offered a little "liquid courage" while we waited for the ambulance to arrive. All in all, I have some pretty great friends here in Hong Kong!

Ambulance buddies

Masks in the hospital with my partner in crime
My night ended with a phone call to McDonalds delivery. It was 5am and Haley and I were both starving. Besides, I needed some kind of food in my stomach with all the medicine I had to take (that was the excuse at least). The McDonalds delivery man was hilarious. He sang to me on the phone letting me know that he was waiting at the City-U gates.

After a lot of firsts (first time getting stitches not from surgery, first time in an ambulance, and first time having a delivery man sing to me), I'm ready for a little bit less of a dramatic/ surprising week.

No comments:

Post a Comment