Thursday, January 17, 2013

Classes Exist During Study Abroad?

I made it through my first week of class! I guess that you can't really call it a week though since I only have class Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. The three day week is definitely a bonus, but unfortunately each of my classes lasts three hours. Brutal.

My week started off with a behavioral decision making class (well actually some questionable scrambled eggs in the canteen but that's another story). Lucky for me the three hours is made a little more enjoyable because 5/8 Hoosiers are in it with me! Our professor Long Wang (this is not a joke) seems really nice and the course load doesn't seem to be unbearable. The exchange nickname for the school is "Shitty-U" mainly because the classes are supposed to be easy compared to what we are used to. We all survived our first three hour class and were done for the day. The rest of Monday was an errand day. I had to purchase a few school supplies, sign up for a day trip to Llama Island, and try to tweak my schedule a little.

Tuesday was another light class day with only one class starting at 3PM. Billy Boozers (the Monday night hang out spot) should never be a problem as I get to sleep in on Tuesdays. My class Tuesday, Cultural Flows in East Asia, was a complete joke and almost unbearable to sit through. There is no final which means note taking and paying attention is almost pointless and the room we are forced to sit in for 3 hours has a temperature equivalent to the Arctic. A group of us headed out after class to Taco Tuesday's at Tequila Jacks...the thought was that the tequila would have a warming effect after the classroom ice box. As usual, the whole "spring break" attitude and no prior planning caused a few problems. We arrived at the restaurant as a group of 30 and discovered there were a maximum of 15 tables... needless to say Taco Tuesday's was postponed until next week when we will travel in a slightly smaller group to dinner.

Hungry and annoyed the Hoosiers opted to eat in a little pizzeria called Rocco's. Pizza has never tasted so good. The slightly pricier meal was definitely worth it and gave us all our American food fix.

Wednesdays are my heaviest days. I have six straight hours of class, an hour and a half break, and then another three hours of class. My day doesn't end until 10PM. Mandarin class was the most entertaining of the day. The class which is about 25 exchange students (all from different countries and with different accents) makes for some funny sounding Mandarin. I still can't tell the difference between most words. At the moment everything is just a noise.

All in all, my classes seem to be manageable and i'm excited to complete a semester here at City U!

No comments:

Post a Comment