Thursday, January 17, 2013

Things I've Learned in Asia...So Far

Many of you know that the reason I chose this study abroad program was because I wanted a very different experience in comparison to my classmates on other programs. The Hong Kong program seemed to be the most drastic and offer a completely different opportunity. Having lived in Europe for eight years and traveled a good majority of it the next continent on my list was Asia. Well I've been here a week and I've already learned so much!

Dislaimer: this post should not be viewed as offensive towards the Asian culture. It is merely a reminiscence of  all the "jaw dropping" moments so far and the culture shock I have experienced.

1. There are so many people. Everywhere seems crowded/busy all the time even at random hours of the day. The Ice Rink in the mall (strange I know) is no exception to this strange occurrence...today at 10am it was busy and children who I think should have been in school (so much for Asians having strict schooling) were there.

2. Everything is really tall and skinny (the drink sizes, the paper, the people-minus the tall part, the trams, the buildings).

Skinny Tram
3. All the food tastes and smells the same. I may be having some Western food withdrawal but at the moment all the food I eat looks, tastes, and smells the same. I never feel hungry because nothing is very appetizing (the smells don't help with that). The generic plate you receive from the canteen is sticky rice, questionable meat, and maybe two vegetables. The salt content in the food here is unreal. I drink a ton of water everyday just to balance the levels of salt being consumed!

4. If the locals don't understand you do your best possible Asian accent (or just resort to charades). We were taught by an exchange student who has already been here for a semester that to get a cab home to City U we need to tell the cab driver phonetically speaking.... "sit eeeee youuuu". In McDonalds we had to make awkward hand gestures to get a large coke. 

5. I am now a minority. Yes this was expected but it will be very strange to get home and see a lot of white people. 

6. The jobs that people are paid to do in this country are a lot different than home. For example in the mall people are paid to stand at the top of the escalator and sanitize the escalator hand rail as it revolves around. Also, much like England you are cleaned up after when you eat at fast food restaurants. This was something the Americans had to get use to. 

7. Dorm life is very different. Quiet hours are definitely not enforced, drinking is allowed, there are absolutely NO visitors after midnight. 

8. The prices in HK make no logical sense. Some things are ridiculously cheap (most meals at the school canteen are about $3) while other things are obscenely expensive (cheese is almost $10US). 

9. People don't walk very fast. I'm not sure if its the lack of leg length or the fact that they are not as concerned about time, but Asians in general do not seem to walk at the same pace as Americans. I was expecting a big "hustle bustle" feel in the city and i'm shocked to say that most locals walked around very nonchalantly. 

10. Locals are spacial-ly challenged. No one here seems to understand the concept of personal space, and they also don't seem to understand how to walk/move in a logical way. 

11. The British "road rules" do not always apply. While the HK locals follow British law and drive on the left the rules do not translate into general walking rules. For example, in the MTR station you do not necessarily enter on the left and exit on the right. Logically it does not make sense!

12. I'm enjoying the British influence. While I'm very far from home it's comforting to find products that I'm used to seeing. Yesterday I saw a sausage roll for sale and when I drink something other than water it is usually a Ribena!  

13. Escalators are different. Again the "road rule" comment from above applies. The "up side" and "down side" of escalators DOES NOT make sense. 

14. Everything (this is a huge generalization) in this country smells like seaweed, questionable meat, and farts. Ask any of the Hoosiers about the crop dusting elevator experience. 

15. No matter how many times I sweep or vacuum my room there will always be Asian hair on the floor. 

16. The washing machines are teeny tiny 

17. The sleep schedule is very different to ours. In general, everyone gets up later but doesn't go to bed until four or five in the morning. 

18. Chopsticks give you hand cramps. All Asians will beat you in a thumb war. 

19. Although it is 60+ degrees most days the locals wear winter coats, jeans, scarves, and boots. 

20. Floor four in Mandarin sounds like "hello" in English. Haley thinks the elevator greets her every time she gets off on her floor. 

21. Most people will do anything to help you. Although it is often a challenge to ask for what you want/need the people here go out of their way to try and help you get it. 

22. The number of high-end cars is unbelievable. There is an actual fact about this somewhere but until you see it for yourself you don't quite get it. 

23. There are trees in the middle of the sidewalk. It doesn't make any logical sense (again). 

24. A lot of things in this country are surprisingly inefficient. The escalators as previously mentioned and also the fact that I have three separate City University issued cards (and ID card, a room card, and a gym card) not to mention my Octopus card which is another daily necessity. You would have that City U could have combined the three above mentioned cards into one. 

25. There are steps/ hills everywhere! Hopefully my butt gets a little toned from this whole experience! 

26. The wifi in the dorms/ across campus is completely unreliable. Haley sits in one corner of her room "the magical wifi corner" or casually hijacks the 14th floor common room (my floor) to gain access to the internet. 

27. Americans are ignorant. All of the exchange students here on average speak at least three languages fluently. I'm so glad that my public school education has taught me how to speak English really really good (just kidding.. well). 

28. There are so many lights in Mong Kok that permanent daylight has successfully been created. 

29. Stinky tofu does exist. I gagged when I smelled it. The cooking process for this street food actually requires fermentation in cow (sometimes human) feces. 

30. You're apparently not supposed to drink the tap water, but I brush my teeth with it every night. Still haven't died. 

31. The tagline for the mall is "In You. In Here"... not sure what that means but it's funny to say. 

32. Professors are extremely tolerant. Students talk, check their phones, and are always on facebook during lecture. Apparently that's the Asian way to survive a three hour lecture. 

33. To draw attention to school sponsored clubs/organizations members dress up in full body costumes. Today I witnessed sailors pushing Wonder Woman in a shopping cart through the hallway. 

34. The library is NOT a public place. You have to scan your ID card just to enter. Very annoying and doesn't seem to have a point. 

35. Emergency call buttons exist in the toilets. I almost pushed it once thinking it was the flusher... would have been a pretty embarrassing moment. 

36. Some dogs are actually given the name Snack 

37. Bathrooms in the dorms are not located at the end of the hall but instead between two rooms adjacent to your own... if you've been reading i'm sure you laughed at the fact that I almost peed my pants the first night here. 

38. Everything has either butter, mayo, or egg on it. YUCK! None of these would be bad except the food combinations here are extremely bizarre. 

39. Traffic does not stop for pedestrians. I've almost been hit by a bus twice. 

40. I love Hong Kong! This city is unbelievable and I cant wait to learn a lot more over the next five months! 



No comments:

Post a Comment